Elizabeth S. Heist
1019 Listie Road, Friedens, PA 15541
To obtain a position as an elementary, middle, or high school music teacher, applying my passion and dedication for music and education through innovative and traditional teaching styles.
Grove City College, Grove City, PA
Bachelor of Music in Music Education- May 2011
Concentration: French Horn
QPA:3.6 Major QPA: 3.81
Honors: Deans List with Distinction
Student Teaching Experiences
Reynolds Area School District- (January 18th-March 4th)
- Reynolds Elementary and High School (5-12) Greenvile, Pa
- Created middle school general music lessons and utilized Smartboard technology.
- Organized and led and independent study for a 7th grade jazz and student.
- Independently directed the elementary, middle school, and junior high bands under the direction of cooperating teacher.
- Individualized instruction for special education students in gneral music class
Franklin School District- (March 7th– May 5th)
- Franklin Elementary Schools (K-6) Franklin, Pa
- Design and taught a unit on instruments of the orchestra
- Taught private instrumental lessons on flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, and percussion
- Individualized instruction for special education students
Music Education Chat
- Active particpant in weekly music education chat through Twitter
- Chat with music teachers and music education students all over the world about music education topics and issues music teachers face
- Active blogger about information relevant to music edcation and technology, specifically geared towards music education undergraduates.
- Active blogger on music education topics from the perspective of a recent college graduate and new educator.
Smart Board Technology
- Integrated SmartBoard technology into elementary and middle school general music during my student teaching to make the lessons more interactive and help to reach all students
Tutor (3rd-5th grade) – Hillview Intermediate, Grove City, PA (September 2007- May 2009)
- Provided individualized instruction in math and reading for two special needs students
- Lead small groups instuction in math and language arts
Long Term Substitute Teacher (General Music K-4)– North Star School District, Boswell, PA (January 3rd 2012- February 21st 2012)
- Taught and planned all lessons for K-4 general music, plus 3rd & 4th grade choir, Orff Ensemble, Recorder Ensemble, RTii, and Guided Reading.
- Assessed students musical abilities, entered grades into the computer and did report cards.
Daily Substitute Teacher (K-12 any subject)– Various school districts (September 2011-June 2012)
Private Lesson Instructor– Grove City, PA (February 2009-present)
- Develop an individualized plan for an adult French Horn student
Tutor (College Students)- Grove City College, PA (August 2009-December 2011)
- Provided indvidualized instructor in music theory and solfeggio for music education undergraduates.
Percussion Instructor- Somerset High School, Somerset, PA (Summer 2011-Present)
- Plan and lead small group percussion sectionals
- Conduct and lead large group rehearsals
- Help teach marching and drill
Marching and Brass Instructor- Somerset High School, Somerset, PA (Summer 2007-Present)
- Teach individual summer woodwind and brass lessons
- Lead small group brass sectionals
- Lead large group rehearsals
- Help teach marching and drill
Music Student Assistant- Grove City College, Grove City, PA (2009-Present)
- Help with secretarial duties in the music department office
- Organize and sort music for college ensembles
- Cooridinator for the small group ensembles
- Tutor students in music theory and solfeggio
- President of National Association of Music Education (MENC), Grove City Chapter
- President of Signature- A Women’s Fine Arts Service Group
- Vice-President of Grove City College Wolverine Marching Band
- Student leader of Grove City College Crimson Brass- Brass Quintet
- Student leader of Grove City College Cantita- Woodwind Quintet
- Student leader of Grove City College French Horn Ensemble
- Active Member, National Association for Music Education (MENC)
- Active Member, Pennsyvania Collegiate Music Educators Association (PCMEA)
- Active Member, Signature
- Ensembles: Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, Concert Band, Crimson Brass, Cantita (woodwind quintet), Horn Ensemble, Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, Pit Orchestra, Chapel Choir, Grove City College Singers
- Participant of Pennsylvania Intercollegiate Band
- Active Member of Fellowship of Christian Educators (FCE)